What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Power of Creation (Day 20)

January 20, 2014



     My husband's alarm sounds sharply at 5:00.  I groan and roll over, snuggling farther, deeper into the warm covers.  My groggy mind flashing to the weather from the day and night before.  I recall the constant beating of the sleet and rain that kept me awake most of the night.  I fondle through the dark, reaching for my phone.  I check the local news website for school closings, half dreading, half hoping what I feel is evident.  Nothing.  I drag myself out of bed and drag my house slipper covered feet to the bathroom to begin my daily regimen...well not so daily lately.  I check the school closings once more, now that I am almost fully awake.  There it is.  School is closed.  I groan out loud for now being awake enough that I could not again return to my comfortable slumber.  The smell of coffee reaches my senses as I descend the stairs.  What am I going to do with yet another snow day?!  The laundry is done.  The kitchen is clean.  My lessons are planned.  My creative side awakens.  I crochet for a while, make jewelry for a while, even contemplate making a batch of my favorite sugar cookies.  

     There is something satisfying about making something with your own hands.  It is very gratifying to look at a finished product that has turned out well.  Something taken from a little of nothing and made into something a person would want and cherish.  

     God must have and must still feel that same way.  But much greater.  For he has the power to make and create so much more.  I know how I feel when a work is finished that I know I have done a great job of doing.  He must feel something much greater.  How could I even begin to compare his creation to mine?  I don't consider it a comparison, but a means to put things into perspective.  To appreciate what he has created all for me.  The beauty of nature, the grandeur of life,  the gift of heaven.

     I will from this point on remember as I create things with my hands, that it is by the grace of God that I am able to do these things and also by his grace that I am living and can have everlasting life when my time here is done.

Psalms 104:24-25 How many are your works, oh Lord!  In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.  There is the sea, vast spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number-living things both large and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?