What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Surviving the Storm (Day 21)

January 21, 2014



     The forecast for snow the night before did not give way to a "school's out" outcome before my retirement to bed.  I woke to the usual drone on of the morning alarm and the sound of my husband showering.  My mind groggily wandered about the outcome the weather would have on my work day.  No one just loves to wake up on a cold morning, brave the elements and head off to work, but we love it even less when it means we get up, get ready, brave the elements, and burn the gas to learn just upon entering the building that work has been called off...
     This event has paralleled my new eating habits since the beginning of the new year.  Daily storms of food, hunger pains, and decisions swirl around my day.  Availability of good foods seems to be my biggest challenge.  It is harder to stick to eating what is healthy when I don't have as much choice about what I eat.  When I am forced to eat at school, because I didn't have time to fix lunch, or the cupboard was just bare, there isn't really much choice to eat healthy.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, veggies sticks with dip, and a cookie just really isn't my idea of healthy!  The other time I struggle is when at restaurants.   Now I know what I can eat for lesser calories since reading Eat This, Not That, but it is so hard to pass up my favorite non-healthy meal choices when at the restaurant. But hey, I even struggle when I am at home!  I know I need another plan.
     One plan I want to put into play is planning ahead of time for lunch time meals.  I need a back up when there are no left overs to take for my lunch.  Packets of tuna, canned soup, quick frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, and maybe even yogurt.  I also found this website with some incite into healthy prepackaged food choices from Prevention Magazine. ABC News has a few really good ideas as well. Any of those would be a healthier choice than chicken nuggets off a school lunch tray!  Another idea I found online was to order smaller sized proportions when at the restaurant or only eat half of the meal and take the rest home. I really need to start keeping my Eat This, Not That book in my car as well, so that I can peek at it before even entering the door.  Now that I have an umbrella to face the storm out and about I need to build my storm shelter at home.  I definitely must build a supply of healthy food and snack choices to graze on and eat at home.  If all I have at home are bad food choices, when I get a hunger pang, you better believe I'm going to grab the first thing that sounds good without even a blink.  So my next and last plan is to make a list of foods and snacks that are healthy and low calorie and head to the store!
     I hope the storms in your life don't take you by surprise and end up making you feel like you have been drenched in a down pour of disappointment.  Make yourself a plan and be prepared for those up coming storms and you too will survive!

Psalms 107:29 He caused the storm to be still, So that the waves of the sea were hushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?