What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Finding Treasure (Day 15)

January 15, 2014



     Opening the yellowing, fragile, and tattered, weathered old map my fingers gingerly trace the dotted path that leads to where X marks the spot.  Opening the dingy sand covered chest with the cherished key it's rusty hinges groan...

     Who doesn't love a good treasure hunt??  We all search for treasures in our lives, some are extrinsic while others are more intrinsic treasures that we seek.  In the winter my husband and I love to treasure hunt.  When it's too cold to ride a horse or the weather isn't nice enough to be outdoors, we choose to hop in the car and head to the antique shops to see what kinds of treasures and bargains we can find.  The search is the exciting part.

     I have recently taken on the challenge of finding the great treasure that God graciously gives us.  This isn't a new search, but a renewal if you will, of my faith.  I have gradually over time fallen away from God.  This year it is my goal to include God in my everyday life.  Last year was a true testament that God was not present.  I truly believe that if God had been included in my life I would have been spared several of the misfortunes that befell me, if not all.  This year I have already witness several examples of him at work.  Today was not exception.

     As I noticed a car in the distance in front of me running at a slower speed, I merged into the passing lane.  Upon approaching this car, it veered in front of me suddenly, almost clipping the nose of my car.  I locked up my brakes to prevent a collision.  As my tires began to squeal, the car skidded sideways for a sure hit.  The other car suddenly merged into oncoming traffic by way of the entrance ramp!  My car began to fishtail so I corrected my steering and gained control of my vehicle once again...nerves tried to consume me.  I watched in panic as the car was traveling head on into oncoming traffic.  I then realized that God had guided my car back into control.  I more than likely cheated a wreck at that moment...

     Today, God's treasure for me was safety.  I don't find myself lucky.  I find myself blessed.  If I called that luck, then I in essence would be saying that avoiding that wreck was left to chance.  That was not an incident of chance.

     I am excited to see what other treasures I will find in my journey of 2014. How and why have I lived my life without him.  I have cheated myself of many treasures in the past...here's to a year of God's little treasures!  What treasures have you found from God?

Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?