What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 14, 2014 A Crown of Thorns (Day 14)


     I honestly believe that everything happens for a reason.  I believe that I happened upon Beth Moore's book Believing God because I have struggled with my Christianity.  I believe that the last time work was called off was because I needed the extra time.  I believe that I received a most precious gift of a vintage piggy bank from my daughter to collect the pennies I find, as a result of the "Pennies From Heaven" story I read just after that.  I also believe that reading the chapter in Beth's book titled "You are Who He Says You Are" and learning that we should all have something to remind us of God and his works.
     I finally dragged myself to church this last Sunday morning after weeks and even months of thinking I didn't belong there, wasn't worthy, and coming up with countless excuses of why I shouldn't go.  Dale's lesson was no less inspirational than it ever is and even a pep talk from one of the elders was a welcomed feat.  But what happened in the adult's class will forever be engrained on my mind.  Matt. 13 on the parable of the sower, just happened to be the topic of discussion, which in turn lead me to thinking which one am I?  I know which one I want to be...every christian wants to be the seed planted in the fertile soil!  But I knew for me, at this moment, was not the case.  I knew I wasn't the seed planted on the rocky soil, because I had not quit believing.  I also knew I wasn't the seed planted on the path, that withered because I wouldn't except Christ.  So it must be that I fall in the category of the seed that falls in the thorns and is choked out by the things of this world.  Worry, work, people, etc.  
     Let me go back one day...my husband and I had taken a little road trip to combat boredom and the cold to go to a few antique stores.  I having a booth at a local shop am always on the look out for sell-able baubles and had my eye on some nice turquoise in a case. Upon closer inspection I came across a delicate crown of thorns ring.  I had a strong urge to purchase that ring, but sadly passed it up.  After hearing the parable of the sower the next day, it dawned on me that it was meant to be my reminder that Beth had talked about in her book!  I knew I needed that reminder of not becoming consumed by worldly things and excuses and keep God first and foremost each day! I am happy to report that my ring in on the way!
     How about you?  Do you have a symbol or a reminder of things that you want to remember or recall each day?  Please share your stories of symbols or things happening in your life that happened for a reason.  Sometimes we don't always know what the reasons are but God has a plan for us and we must trust in him!

Matthew 13:1-8 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?