What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

You Can Lead a Horse to Water, But You Can't Make Him Drink (Day 23)

January 23, 2014



     The morning dawns a new day with temperatures still in the teens for the third day in a row.  I am consumed by cabin fever at the thought of yet another day of school being canceled.  Keith has prepared ahead and placed large round bales of hay out for the livestock, so that they can eat to their hearts content and stay warm.  But it seems as though his mare has decided to be picky about the hay and isn't eating as much as the others in her lot.  Keith asks me to keep him updated about her actions throughout the morning, which prompts him to ask me to carry her a bucket of water.  He has decided that it may just be that she is thirsty.  I bundle up, fill the bucket and pack it out to the pasture right to her.  She looks at me as if I have lost my mind and runs away.  I follow her back and forth through the pasture, thinking to myself how cold I am, and how crazy this is when the horse apparently isn't appreciating what lengths I have went through to get her a fresh, unfrozen drink.  I set it down and turn and walk a few feet away.  I watch patiently as she approaches the bucket knowing she is finally going to drink...but alas she picks it up with her teeth and dumps out the water!

     Funny we are just like horses in that sense.  We can be lead right to the things that could help us only to turn and walk away from it or just literally dump it out.  I have now read books, gotten helpful items and gadgets as well as some great recipe choices.  The only thing now that I am lacking is putting it into play.  I have to get up, get active, and change the way I eat.  Even though I had to eat what was here at home today, I could have passed up snacking in between.  I could have put a different dressing on my salad.  I could have actually used my new yoga AP on my phone!  I actually didn't do too bad, but I am pretty hard on myself.  That's another thing I must work on!

     What did I do today?  I did eat a salad for lunch which I traded out for spaghetti.  I did start my new book Flat Belly Diet by Prevention Magazine.  I did drink a little more water.  I did skip that biscuit at breakfast this morning.  And chasing that darned horse was a workout!  I really need to be a little more positive with myself and just vow not to give up.  There will be days like this...just stop and drink it in, instead of tipping the bucket!

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?