What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Water the Source of Life (Day 6)

January 6, 2014





     One of the things I struggle with daily is drinking enough water.  At least half of our bodies are made up of water.  If we are not replacing the amount that we use up each day it may compromise our health eventually. 

     I know this first hand.  Just last year I had a scary bout of a fib.  I had appointments and tests galore with my cardiologist which didn't find any results.  Tell yourself there is nothing wrong with you are awakened each night with a rapid or irregular heart flutter that won't seem to go away!  As we age we feel our mortality more and more.  No longer do we have the carefree thoughts of our younger years, for we know we aren't getting any younger.  We know that we need to take care of the body we have, for it is the only one we get.  What does this have to do with water?  Because there was no apparent reason for my heart palpitations, I began to explore other reasons for its cause.  Was it stress?  Maybe the lack of water?  My diet?  Weight gain?  I began to believe that it might just be that I didn't drink enough water.  When we don't drink enough water our bodies rob that water from our organs to compensate.  I began drinking water feverishly.  I still haven't been successful in making it a habit though.  I struggle because I don't have the feeling of thirst, EVER.  I have decided to go some where else for help with this.

     There are at least six reasons to drink water.  The first one I have mentioned.  We really need to replace and balance our bodily fluids.  Water can also control the intake of calories, making your body feel fuller for longer periods.  This is an added perk since I am also trying to maintain a healthy weight.  In addition it helps give our muscles energy to work.  When properly hydrated your muscles can work more efficiently and perform longer without fatiguing.  Furthermore it helps keep your skin looking healthy.  Without proper hydration our skin looks dry and more wrinkled.  Water also helps your kidneys do their job better.  The kidneys flush your body of toxins which will help keep you healthier.  And last but not least water will keep your gastrointestinal tract functioning correctly. 

     This website further suggests ways to make drinking water a habit that is easier to keep.  The easiest suggestion is to have a drink with every meal.  Sounds like what most of us already to, but in reality most often I skip.  Choose beverages you like and then you will be more likely to consume them.  Also since 20% of our water intake comes from our food eat more fruits and vegetables.  Another suggestion is to keep water with you where ever you go.  Then you can grab a sip when ever the urge strikes you. 

     I think this is a plan that I just might be able to use.  What idea do you plan to implement today?  How have your goals been met so far on our journey?  Let's wash ourselves of our bad habits and start a good habit today!

     I found the following advice from the website: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water

John 4:14 - But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?