What is Zen?

Zen is a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Steak, A Salad, and a Promise (Day 25)

January 25, 2014

      Oh you know it was a normal weekend.  A gift card left from Christmas, a night out to dinner with the husband. Hostess announcing as we enter the door that it would be at least an hour late.  I waited for the inevitable "I am not waiting an hour to eat here." and the departure to yet another restaurant, where we would most likely wait anyway.  But, it didn't come.  My husband calmly nodded his head, gave the hostess our name and headed to the restroom.  I sat and waited as the cold wind swept in and out of the foyer chilling my bones.  "Wow, an hour, really?" my mind complained.  Shortly after Keith returned from the restroom we were seated and our drinks were on the way. We exchanged the normal husband-wife dinner conversation about ball games, household issues, and various unimportant topics.

     This is the typical beginning to an unexpected event.  We are absorbed in the hum-drum everyday-ness that it can blind site us easily.  During that oh, so common spouse chat, my husband interjects oh so gently, "I'll go to church with you in the morning."  I was not prepared.  I was speechless.  What do I say?  Let it make an impact, make it count.  "Really?  Your not playing with me?" was my reaction.  Really?  Isn't that the way most of us as Christians are?  Unprepared to say best.  I spent the rest of the night not knowing what to say, what to do.  I felt as if I were projected back to our first date.  I went to bed not knowing what to say, think, or do.  "Is this real?"

     The next morning I got the question, "What time does church start?"  I know my mouth flew open, well at least it did in my mind.  My heart was over joyed.  There is no other gift in this world that could even begin to prepare.

     Prayer.  There is great power in prayer.  Pray unceasing.  Pray out loud. Pray unending.  Pray in the quiet.  Just Pray.  You never know when and where your results will emerge.

     1 Peter 3:1-2 In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the good news, your godly lives will speak to them without any words.  They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kinds of magazines are found in your home?